Analyze and optimize the environmental impact of your products according to ISO 14040 with our powerful LCA Software. Create sustainable products, optimize the ecological footprint and improve business sustainability.
LCA Software for Life Cycle Assessment
Umberto is one of the leading LCA software solutions and is recommended by experts from industry, consulting, research & education.
Analyzing the environmental impact and footprint of products poses a major challenge. Umberto LCA+ supports you with the following features for a comprehensive life cycle assessment:
The graphical approach enables you to create a model of your production system step by step.
Link to Microsoft Excel
Connect the model to Excel worksheets to import your own data and keep it updated.
Integrated life cycle database
Using data from LCI databases such as ecoinvent saves time, e.g. for emission factors and other environmental indicators of upstream and downstream processes.
A rough estimation of environmental impacts in the first place helps to identify hot spots for further improvement.
The comparison of different scenarios allows the evaluation of measures for optimization.
Material Flow Cost Accounting
Combine ecological with economic aspects in order to calculate the effects on the product (life cycle) costs.
Export of Results
Export all LCA and cost results to an Excel spreadsheet, including illustrated Sankey diagrams of the model.
Become an Umberto user now
Free web presentation
You are interested in a brief introduction to our software Umberto LCA+?
Register now for a free web presentation and become a sustainability expert soon!
More information about Umberto LCA+
product information – case studies – integration & automation – software features
LCA Integration & Automation
You want to automate the life cycle assessment of your products and make LCA results available to different departments of your company? For that purpose, we have developed a web-based sustainability platform.
Learn more about the automation and integration of life cycle assessments:
Features of our LCA Software
Graphical modeling of energy and material flows
Visualize your production system and other phases of the life cycle transparently with a material flow model and benefit from:
- Intuitive user interface
- Transparent illustration of process chains through clear graphic elements
- Successive development of your production system
- Hierarchical modelling through subnets
➠ Graphic modelling enables the development of a holistic understanding of processes.
Live Link to Microsoft Excel
The first step to a successful LCA is the integration of existing data. Our tool offers an interface to Microsoft Excel.
- Linking Excel cell values to Umberto models
- Automatic update when cell values are changed
- Easy adaptation of relevant parameters
- Individual interface connection with SAP or other systems
A factor for success: integrated life cycle database
Data research can be very time-consuming. Save time and costs by integrated of LCA databases (LCI databases):
- Standard integration of ecoinvent and GaBi database(s) available
- ecoinvent database: Contains over 13'300 data sets from various industries and areas. Provider is the non-profit organization ecoinvent Association from Switzerland.
- GaBi databases: Contain over 7'000 datasets available in various sector-specific databases. The data is based on primary industry data. The provider is Sphera International.
Screening LCA for the identification of hot spots
A Screening LCA reduces the effort and complexity in data collection to achieve a first overview of the environmental impact.
- Examination of main materials of the products using ecological rucksack data
- Consideration of the "ecological rucksack" from upstream and downstream chains with global average values
➠ Identification of hot spots enables further improvement.
Life Cycle Assessment with integrated cost accounting
Analyze what effect the improvement of the LCA has on the cost of the product.
- Eco-efficiency by evaluating costs and environmental impacts in one model
- Enables combination of Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Costing
- Traditional cost accounting and Material Flow Cost accounting available
- Assessment of resource efficiency to reduce environmental impacts at the plant site
➠ Thus, a sustainable product becomes also cost effective.
Visualization of life cycle system model
Present the results of your life cycle assessment through convincing Sankey diagrams:
- Visualization of resources, life cycle costs and environmental impacts
- Appealing presentation of influencing variables and correlations
- Transparency of environmental impacts for all parties involved
➠ Sankey diagrams are an excellent decision-making basis for improving environmental performance.
recommended by experts
"At Miele, we use Life Cycyle Analyses especially when faced with fundamental decisions in product development. Miele has an excellent reputation with both customers and stakeholders, so we make sure our products are not only high in value for the customer but are also beneficial for the environment. We use Umberto LCA+ so we can easily exchange data and material flow models with our long-time partner, the Öko-Institut (Institute for Applied Ecology)."
Marko Schnarr, Miele & Cie. KG, Germany
"Umberto LCA+ is based on a scientifically sound approach and provides seamless access to the ecoinvent 3 database. Research results visualized as Sankey diagrams are easy to present."
Prof. Dr. Lorenz Hilty, Informatics and Sustainability Research Group, University of Zurich and Empa, St. Gallen, Switzerland