Learn more about the goals, methods and solutions to make the manufacturing of your products more sustainable.
What is sustainable production?
Sustainable production secures natural foundations of life
Industrial engineering and manufacturing of products is always accompanied by the extraction and consumption of raw materials from nature and the use of land.
Furthermore, pollutants are emitted into the soil, air and water during the production process and along the entire supply chain.
The aim of sustainable production is to ensure that the production of goods conserves resources and preserves the regenerative capacity of the environment. Sustainable products secures the natural foundations of life for future generations.
This requires a new approach to research, design and manufacturing.
The product life cycle – from cradle to grave
To create sustainable production, it is not enough to look only at the manufacturing phase of the product. Rather, the entire life cycle must be included in the analysis and evaluation.
Life Cycle Phases
The product is evaluated and optimized from cradle to grave in terms of environmental performance.
- Product development & design
- Procurement of raw materials
- Distribution & logistics
- Product use
- Disposal & Recycling
How to achieve sustainable production?
Goals of eco-efficient production
An environmentally compatible production pursues several interdependent individual goals:
- Avoidance of harmful emissions into the environment
- efficient use of energy and resources
- Switching to renewable energies
- Use of sustainably produced resources
- Waste avoidance and creation of material cycles & recycling
- Restoring and maintaining the biological diversity of ecosystems
Opportunities and advantages
Sustainable product policy offers a wide range of opportunities and advantages for companies:
- Cost reduction through improved material and energy efficiency
- Competitive advantages over the marketplace
- Adaptation to changes in consumer behavior
- Increasing the attractiveness for skilled workers
- Sustainable products ensure the long-term success of the company
Environmental and efficiency technologies
Achieving the sustainability goals requires an all-encompassing modernization of production systems and the entire economy. New environmental and efficiency technologies play a key role here. Below are some examples:
- Electric and fuel cell drives
- electro-chemical and thermal storage of energy
- Combined heat and power
- Bioplastics and composite materials
- Digital networking of systems and supply chains
We support you to enable sustainable production
Our Sustainability Software
Using our software Umberto, you can create clearly and transparently life cycle assessments of your products. With integrated cost accounting - partial and full cost accounting as well as material flow cost accounting (MFCA) - you not only increase the sustainability but also the efficiency of your production system.
Our Sustainability Consulting
Alternatively, our team of experts of LCA consultants and environmental engineers is at your disposal. We are happy to support you individually step by step up to the complete analysis of the environmental impacts of your products.