Life Cycle Assessments - transparent & decision-relevant
Umberto is one of the leading software for life cycle assessments and is recommended by experts from industry, consulting, research & education.
- Most used LCA databases available
- Support from experienced life cycle assessment experts
- In use across industries and globally
- Favorable conditions for SMEs and new customers
- Free trial version - available for immediate download
Highlights of the LCA Software
Easy integration of existing primary data
Have you already collected data for your Life Cycle Assessment in Microsoft Excel? Wonderful, then you have already created the basis.
- Linking Microsoft Excel cell values with Umberto model
- Automatic update when cell values are changed
- Easy adaptation of relevant parameters such as quantities and transport information
- Possibility of an individual interface connection with SAP or other systems
We will gladly give you a live demonstration in our web presentation: ▶ View dates
A factor for success: integrated life cycle databases
Data are the basis of a good life cycle assessment, but research is very time-consuming. Save time and nerves by integrating LCA databases (LCI databases).
- Standard integration of the two market leaders ecoinvent and GaBi database(s) possible
- ecoinvent database: Contains over 13'300 transparent, quality-checked data sets from various industries and areas. Provider is the non-profit association ecoinvent Association from Switzerland.
- GaBi databases: Contain over 7'000 datasets available in various sector-specific databases. The data is largely based on primary industry data. The provider is thinkstep AG from Germany.
Screening LCA for the identification of hot spots
You would like to make a rough estimate in the first step? With a 'Screening LCA' you reduce the effort, the complexity and the data collection for a first overview of the environmental impacts.
- Examination of the main materials of the products using ecological rucksack data
- Consideration of the "ecological rucksack" from the upstream and downstream chains with global average values
- Quick overview of where the hot spots are located, which should be looked at more closely
Life Cycle Assessments with integrated cost analysis
Convince your management by making concrete statements about which impact the measure to improve the life cycle assessment will have on the costs of the products.
- Eco-efficient decisions by evaluating costs and the environmental impacts in one model
- Enables combination of Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Costing
- Creation of different scenarios
- Assessment of resource efficiency to reduce environmental impacts at the plant site
Making environmental potentials clearly identifiable
Do you want to present the results of your LCA convincingly? Then visualize the environmental impacts of your products as Sankey diagrams.
- Visually appealing presentation of all influencing variables and correlations
- Transparency of environmental impacts for all parties involved
- Excellent decision-making basis for improving environmental performance
Tip for the trial version: Calculate one of the sample models and test the Sankey diagram visualization of environmental impacts and costs: ▶ Test it now
Request a non-binding quote now
Request your quote for Umberto LCA+ now! Soon you will be creating visual, transparent and decision-relevant Life Cycle Assessments with one of the leading software tools.
Case studies with Umberto
Umberto is recommended by leading experts from industry, consulting as well as research & education. The software is used to determine the CO2 balance (Carbon footprint) of a product and/or to analyze its life cycle (LCA). In the case studies you will learn how BRITA and Fujitsu, among others, have successfully mastered these challenges with Umberto: ► Overview of case studies
Umberto LCA+ the most visual LCA tool
How does a Life Cycle Assessment work?
A Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a method to calculate the environmental impact of a product over its entire life cycle. In this context, the term 'product 'also includes services. Taking the entire product life cycle into consideration - from resource extraction to production, use, and disposal – guarantees an integrated evaluation of all inputs and outputs, thus making sure negative environmental impacts aren't shifted to other life cycle phases of the product. This methodology is defined in the ISO 14040/14044 DIN standard. Each LCA starts with setting the goal and scope of the particular study. In some instances, for example, it is sufficient to limit the system boundaries to the 'cradle-to-gate' approach rather than analyzing the entire product life cycle ('cradle-to-grave' ).
What is a Life Cycle Assessment software?
Umberto LCA+ is a versatile LCA software that allows you to calculate Life Cycle Assessments. You can also use this LCA tool to calculate an Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) and a Product Environmental Footprint (PEF), if your business has advanced to following these standards. It can also be used to find the carbon footprint.
LCA software enables you to create a model of your entire product system. Using Umberto LCA+, you start by generating a material flow network. Integrated databases such as ecoinvent or GaBi are useful in realizing the system's boundaries. These databases already contain a large number of data sets, allowing you to easily visualize the background systems.
The next two phases of LCA, the life cycle inventory analysis and the life cycle impact assessment, are completed for you by the software. You then interpret and evaluate the results. The LCA software has functions to make it easy to evaluate the results in a way that they can actually be applied, for example, in the reduction of waste emissions. One of these functions is representing results as a Sankey diagram, which is helpful in securing an intuitive understanding of the outcome. Whether you plan to use the results of the LCA software analysis in your sustainability reporting or would like to discuss them with your colleagues – they enable the viewer to see at a glance where the critical points within your production system are. In the end, the software promotes a greater systems understanding and helps create more transparency.